Remind Me Who I Am

Remind me, lest I forget who I am to You. I've played the words of that song over and over to myself this week. It's been so easy to get so distracted- by work, social media, worry and wandering thoughts- that I forget to enjoy who I am to Jesus. He doesn't love me more if I have a good job. He doesn't love me less if I spend an hour too long distracted on the computer. He WANTS me all day, every day. And when I take a step out of my own world to look at the big picture, I crave Him. I love sitting quietly in His presence and enjoying what He teaches me.


A lot of times who I am in Christ is drowned out by who I think I am in every one else. If someone doesn't love me the way I think they should, doesn't pursue me, doesn't listen to me or ask me about life then that becomes the object of my worry and my mind switches into gear of how I can get their approval. But that's not how Jesus related to people. He was unashamed. Most people didn't listen to him, pursue him, love him or inquire about His life- and he was so confident of God's love for Him. Nothing else mattered.

Knowing something is true doesn't necessarily mean that it is felt. Even though I know God's deep love for me despite all the chaos in my heart, it's so often that I don't feel it or recognize it. But these past few days, God has stretched out his arms through other people to remind me who I am. Through associates loving on me, deep friendships asking about my life and caring for my heart, and actually spending time reading His truth outside in the beauty that He's created, I feel that love and pursuit. He doesn't owe it to me to get to feel so cherished, but I think that sometimes he lets me experience that from other people so I can understand how he relates to me in such a greater extent. I don't want to just hear about this love that God has- as if it's something distant that only super spiritual people have access to. I want to taste it and see it. Every day. Because He offers that to me and all of us. There truly is nothing more beautiful than being reminded who I am in Jesus.


"Remind Me Who I Am"- Jason Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment