Be Present

The act of being present is the first step to capturing the concept of what it means to make the most of every opportunity (Ephesians 5:15-16). It’s something I’ve been hearing a lot of recently- probably due to the constant buzz we’re all attuned to 24/7. Most days I’m a slave to busyness- sometimes actually being busy and sometimes creating work for myself just to be doing something because my mind is always going- thinking about the future, reflecting on the past, multitasking to make my time more “efficient”. I check my texts while I’m at stop lights, work on my laptop while I’m having conversations with friends, think about my schedule for the day instead of talking to people at breakfast, and don’t ask questions when I feel like someone actually answering them will slow me down.

Being present to me means being fully engaged in whatever is happening right here and now. It’s taking time to look at the people you’re with and listen to them. It’s taking time to breathe for a hot sec and enjoy the beauty around you. It’s not replaying the past over and over again because replaying it won’t change it. It’s not meticulously planning every detail of the future because it’s not going to happen that way. It’s about learning from mistakes and praying for the strength to put the phone down that you picked up because you felt awkward. It’s having a conversation with the person checking you out in line at the grocery store instead of mulling over your schedule in your head of what you have to do after you leave. It’s saying no to the unnecessary things that Satan convinces you are so important, in order to make space to say yes to building your relationships with people, God, and nourishing your soul.


Think about the last time you felt someone truly listen to you and enjoy your company, and realize why you still remember that. Being present shows people that you love them and care enough to give them all your attention. Think of what it would be like to make someone else feel that way. In an age where this gets more and more rare, don’t let distractions and “work” take you away from true life. When you’re in your last moments of life, you won’t be concerned about social media, multitasking or if you worked hard enough to make enough money to consider your life “successful”. You’ll think about your whether or not your relationships with your family, close friends and God are right-and a great first step to that is being present.


No comments:

Post a Comment