Why I Changed to a Heathy Diet

I get asked all the time why I decided to change to a healthy diet, so I figured I'd also put it in a post because there are lots of reasons why! I'm 95% gluten-free (and before you roll your eyes stay with me), I eat very minimal processed and artificial food (if at all), fast food and red meats. I say 95% because to me it's not a list of rules- what I can and cannot eat- it's about having a healthy lifestyle and sometimes a brownie or piece of pizza is healthy for my soul haha. It also helps me understand grace and takes away the feeling of guilt when I do decide to splurge. And then I see my splurges as a gift instead of something I'm entitled to or a curse. But in general, switching to eating mostly whole foods has been so great. I'll tell you why I started the switch and then explain why I've kept with it.


Why I Started

Last March I was really struggling with my skin. I have a history of skin problems and nothing I did was changing my acne, eczema or allergies. I was reading a couple of blogs that insisted diet would change my skin (it didn't, wish I could say it did) and I was also hoping for my diet to make up for the fact that I had zero time to exercise. That's what overcommitment does to you and it was showing up on my thighs...My best friend's mom who is gluten-free told me about this book called the Daniel Plan that talks about God's purpose for food and how he didn't intend for all the artificial processed mess to go into our bodies. The plan incorporates food, faith, fitness, friends and focus unlike usual diet plans. And after doing the 10-day detox, I found I wasn't really craving gluten or sweets as much. Coming off the detox, I wasn't as strict but the idea of the lifestyle really attracted me so I stuck with it.



Why I Kept Going

1. It's good for my soul
Being gluten free and having a mostly plant and fruit based diet has pushed me to look to inspiration for my recipes and actually learn about nutrition and what I should be putting in my body. Before I would just cook what I knew- so pasta and brownies and frozen pizza. But I've come to have a guilty pleasure for reading healthy food blogs. I LOVE trying new recipes, new foods, new stores and actually tasting my food instead of scarfing it down. It's encouraged me to shop at farmer's markets which gets me outside and in touch with the community. It gets me to slow down and appreciate what I'm eating which I adore.

2. It's good for my wallet
In some aspects, it's true that eating healthy can be more expensive depending on how you shop. But I have saved money through kicking my Starbucks habit and saying no to Sonic when I'm randomly craving ice cream. I also feel good about supporting the local community through farmers markets and buying certain items like brown rice and oats in bulk can save money as well. I usually skip the superfoods and stick to ingredients that I can use in most of my recipes instead.

3. The health benefits
Since being gluten-free I feel like I have more mental clarity and less brain fog. I don't feel run down after I eat, and when I eat the correct portion size the food energizes me like it should. Even more so, I'm eating for my future body. With so much cancer and colon problems in my family, I want to do everything I can on my part to prevent these. And diet is strongly linked to a lot of preventable diseases.

4. My tastes changed
Since I've stopped eating bad foods, I've stopped craving them for the vast majority. I usually find myself craving fruit, kale, oatmeal and smoothies instead. Even my desire for lattes has lessened, and I crave dark chocolate instead of Reeses and Twix. My body is used to getting those nutrients now, and I enjoy eating brightly colored foods. Since my tastes have changed, it's been a lot easier to keep up with healthy eating because it's exciting instead of feeling like a chore.

5. I understand the Bible more
The Bible actually talks a significant amount about not only taking care of your body, but also about food. Daniel fasted from the king's food by only eating fruits and vegetables and ended up being healthier than others in the kingdom who were lethargic because of their foods. I use a lot more foods that were mentioned in the bible such as olive oils and fruit. I also understand verses about gluttony (which I never considered a sin before but have been convicted of recently) and how eating too much slows us down and keeps us from being able to do things that God calls us. I've realized how I idolized food and not seen it the way God does. I also read verses in Proverbs about how eating too much honey will make you sick and laugh because that's actually happened to me (should've read that verse first!). I could go on and on about the things I've learned reading the Old Testament this past year since changing my diet, and how much the Bible backs up and encourages me in my decisions.

5. I've had lots of inspiration
It's been fun to partner with my friends and family on eating healthy. We enjoy cooking new recipes together, trying healthy cafes and talking about nutrition. I've also found huge inspiration on food blogs such as Nutrition Stripped and Deliciously Ella. I follow many fitness and healthy food accounts on Instagram and Pinterest and their lifestyles always remind me that I can because other people have.

So far, changing my eating habits has actually been a lot of fun. I feel better about myself, and feel more connected to God, my family, friends, and the earth. I feel closer to my roots and it boots my energy, confidence and happiness. This is a personal decision that I wouldn't force on anyone, but if any of this sounds appealing to you I highly suggest you try it! It's definitely only changed me for the better.

My best friend, Emily, and I at the Saturday morning Farmers Market in Columbia, SC
Resources
Nutrition Stripped Blog
Deliciously Ella Blog
The Daniel Plan Book
Happy Cow App

No comments:

Post a Comment